Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Diwali Anecdote: An Unused Cracker Box


This blog post is written for Indiblogger.in and Pepsico's Ghar ki Diwali - https://www.gharwalidiwali.com/


The rockets zoomed outside the windows, whirling and landing in unexpected places. I hear Sharma Uncle shouting furiously. "MY NEW CAR!" followed by giggles. The kids hide before he could find them. It was his new car after all. Brand new car, plastic sheets intact and the toran on it still hanging.He had not even finished flaunting it and these mischievous kids with impish smiles had landed a stupid rocket on it.

It was not just the kids who were hiding, the dogs hid too. Terrified of the sound, trembling with each bomb that exploded.
I carefully jump over the Flower Rangoli mom made, careful not to trip over my extremely-long-sweeping-the-floor-lehenga.

The smell of Karanji and Nankhatai enters my nostrils and my stomach suddenly feels empty again.( Despite the box of chocolates I emptied a while ago. Burp!)
I spot the ladoo jar kept over the fridge.Jumping twice I manage to make it wobble over the fridge and nothing more than that. So I hunt for a stool and climb up only to lose my balance and fall safely in grandpa's sturdy arms.
"DONT TELL MOM, Pleaaaaaseee!" my eyes tell him. He winks and I know I am safe.
"Guess what I have got for you", he hides the bag as I dodge to his left and right to see. 
"Close your eyes and no cheating!"
My mind races. I picturize the doll house I saw in the market earlier and see Alisha and me playing with it.
Wait no. It could also be the tent house. But who would set that up. Megha is busy with exam preps..
"So much time! Guess fast!" he said impatiently.
"Pass" I said happily,secretly hoping it to be either of the two.
"Here you go, light them carefully. Make sure it doesn't touch your lehenga."
"Crackers?" I look at him trying to hide my disappointment. 
"What happened? You did not like the gift?" He caught me. Bad attempt! I tell myself.
I thought kids like crackers. See Rano, Aditi, Aman all bursting them. I want you also to burst them. I have got all varieties.
Anita Ma'am's words ring in my ears," There are hundreds of children as old as you working in fir cracker units in Sivakasi. Yes the law is stringent but yet there are many who violate the law and so many innocent children have to suffer."
Grand dad gets up to go. I hold his hand. "I loved your gift" , I say with the best smile , the same one that I used to as a bribe to get want I wanted. Mom had always told me to value and respect the gifts we received , even if we did not like them. 
I bit my lip, not knowing how to put it in words. I couldn't hurt him. 
I run to my room to bring my school note book. "I know you have got full marks" he says with a twinkle.
"No, I...I.. want ou to read this..." I blurt out.
He reads all that I have written in the class, his eyes brimming with tears.
"I am so sorry. I really liked the gift, but.."before I can complete all that I decided to say, he hugs me tightly.
"Always stand for what you believe in, my little big girl."
We keep the box of crackers on the table as we leave for the pooja. 
For many years the box of unused crackers remained in one of the cupboards. Years later I wipe out the dust on it and smile. 
The gift I couldn't refuse.
The gift I couldn't use.

Watch the Gharwali Diwali Film below:



7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Inspirational!

divsi said...

Thanks Lata:)

Paresh Kale said...

super post ! well written

divsi said...

Thanks a lot Paresh :)

Anunoy Samanta said...

What a warm nostalgia... I sincerely wish you got your prize :-)

divsi said...

Thanks Anunoy! Yes I did :)