The hills were a sight to behold. Snow capped peaks were akin to icing on the cake.
The clouds kissed the peaks and slowly drifted away as if teasing the hills. The mountain air was chilly but there was a warmth in the sight I was witnessing.
One item on my bucket list was waiting to be ticked off.
I dreamed what it would be like to fly over those hills.
I saw people floating in the skies and landing down and a sudden fear enveloped me. What if there is an accident?
On one side my heart fluttered at the thought of flying. On the other hand my mind weighed the pros and cons of paragliding.
I stood in the queue, amidst the battle of the heart and mind.
I read the form carefully.The form clearly stated they would not be responsible for any accident or casualties .
I looked up in the sky. A dozen paragliders were floating in the clouds.
I recollected what my cabbie had told me in the morning. There had been an accident in the Solang Valley a day before.
I shuddered. "Why in the world am I doing this?"
The heart quipped, " you dreamt of it. You dreamt that you were a bird and flew higher up touching the clouds.
And today you are a step away from making it real. Don't back off."
I signed the form.
The start point had to be reached via a trolley. I sat in the trolley and like an excited kid , clicked pictures during my ascent towards the peak.
The start point was one km away. All the while, I kept arguing with myself. Was I scared? Of course I was.The feeling was a mixed one. Excitement, heart thumping, nervousness, hesitation but a deep sense of shedding all my inhibitions to make that 'flying' dream come true.
I sighed and a cloud of cold , misty air escaped my mouth.
My instructor helped me with the harness. As time ticked, people in the gang kept reducing. I was one of the last few left in the group. Three members of our group backed off. Some puked in fear, some just gave up and took the trolley back. I wondered what to do. Was it worth the risk? Maybe. Maybe not. But backing off was not a good option. I would always be regretful of not trying, of being a coward who ran away from her dream.
I decided to shut my mind. Blocked away all the thoughts that were flocking my mind.
I heard the instructor's do's and don'ts. And then it was just silence. The mountains were no longer intimidating. There was an eerie calm. My mind was blank. And my heart was beating louder than ever.
The instructor told me to look an the green Mountain Dew bottle placed at the edge of the cliff.
"What about it?" I asked.
"Focus on it and run towards it." he said.
I breathed in and ran.
"Don't stop!" He yelled against the sound of the wind.
"NOW WHATTT?!" I screamed.
"Now nothing. Just JUMP!"
Before he finished jump I was in the air. My heart skipped a beat. The sight was mind-blowing.
I swallowed the sights as I flew over the same hills, reliving my dream.
As we floated over the clouds, my instructor laughed saying "Darr ke aage jeet hai".
After I landed, I saw all the people who had backed off.
I felt a huge sense of satisfaction. I had overcome all my momentary fears to do what I always wanted to do. I am glad I listened to the little voice in my heart that insisted, "Don't give up! Don't back out!"
Dreams had won over fears.
And of course one more item was ticked off the bucket list:)

10 comments:
Well written !!
Wow... so well written! I felt I was with you... I went paragliding once but could not do it because of the weather conditions :( you post makes me wish we could have done it even more!!
Would love to see that bucket list!
Great post! Hi, do you have an email address I can contact you on? Thanks and have a great day!
Awesome. Conquering ones fears is one of the most difficult things in life. And great to see that you have conquered one of them :). I am still quite nervous when it comes to things like bungee jumping, paragliding etc. but maybe some day would love to get over the fear.
Dreams over fears! Definitely. Glad to have discovered your blog. :)
May you make bolder decisions this 2015! Cheers!
Thanks Jyotsna!
Thanks a lot Anky :) you must do it whenever you get a chance! It's a once in a lifetime feeling! I ve posted a part of my bucket list in a recent post :)
Thanks a lot! Welcome to my blog :)
Thanks Aseem :) surely one day I hope you conquer your fear for adventure sports and trust me you won't regret the experience ever!
Thanks!
Post a Comment