Friday, November 20, 2015

An ode to 'Him'

Life is a long long journey.Snaking through the years,we meet so many people at each bend.
So many people sashaying in and out of our lives:some are company only till the next.
Some are road blocks,while some leave an indelible imprint.

Like He did.


He was one of the finest friends one could ever have.
I was lucky to have him.
A charmer in the truest sense of the word.
No wonder he had so many friends.A social butterfly.ALWAYS surrounded by people. 


I admit I was a little jealous of his persona.When he walked,heads turned.
That reminds me: I loved walking with him.
The walks at dawn:He woke me up at 5.30,while I grumbled.He seemed to enjoy seeing me crib and make faces at the daunting thought of waking up early.
We had walks at dusk too:Gurudwara trips at dusk.
Our typical conversations on the way would be: 


1. Philosophy :He heard,I spoke.
2. Career advise: I heard,he spoke.
3. Nature observation: No one spoke,as we both reveled in this beautiful 'our' time.

Opposites attract they say.
We were opposites.He was mature,with deep rooted ideals and beliefs.
I was a teen:with volatile and conflicting thoughts.
He was painfully patient and I was irksomely restless.He loved sitting under the winter sun,while I pranced about like a little monkey filling him in with all the tiny details of my day.

I loved plucking raw mangoes from his neighbour's garden much to his wrath,but he seldom yelled.
He retorted with a silent treatment,making me hang my head in shame while he apologized on my behalf.

Did we argue?Of course we did.
We had our share of fights.I never initiated patch-ups.
I was too stubborn and he was too humble.
He followed me everywhere,never stopping till we patched up.


He had a way with words.The story teller that he was!
Always keeping me enthralled to his tales.
I adored him.
Maybe because he always made me feel important,valued,worthwhile and special.
Maybe because he was not just nice to me but a nice person.Nice to the gardener.Nice to the watchman.
Nice to the rickshaw-wallah.


I was so enamoured by him I wrote him a poem and he framed and hung it in his bedroom.
I am sure he felt happy too with me around,why else would he introduce me to his friends with an air of pride?

There was so much to learn from him.
Humility. 
Patience.
Honesty.
Perseverance.
I remember him always doing his work on his own.

We could discuss anything: politics,current affairs,philosophy,religion.
A frank and unbiased critic:He reviewed my poems,never giving me a ten on ten,lest my head swells with an 'I-am-the-best' thought.
An inspiration himself,he always told me that learning is an ongoing,never ending process.
A person's decent starts the day he feels he's learnt it all.

Mum adored him too.
Even though he always stood in front of me,protecting me from her towering anger.
While I hid timidly behind him.He was a life saver.

And then one day:It was a week since i spoke with him.
I woke in the morning wanting to ask mom if he had called to talk to me. 
She seemed upset.
Something wasn't right.Then she broke the news to me.
It hit me hard.
He was no more and life wasn't the same anymore.

Because he was not only my friend,my critic and my mentor,
but also my granddad.
Thank You for a number of things: Some said,some left unsaid.
The 1st edition Gitanjali gifted by you.
All the teeny weeny bits of advice.
The TOP-SECRET Golgappa treats.
Not dampening my enthusiasm of sailing paper boats in the tiny brook.
Teaching me not just how to help myself but also to be of some help to others.
Believing in me and never losing faith.
Being with me eternally.

-Your Ms. World

This post is written for the #Madeforgreat contest sponsored by Tata Motors and hosted by Indiblogger. 


6 comments:

alok said...

Indeed a nicely written post. I wish you good luck for the contest
Here is my answer
The association of Tata Motors with Lionel Messi is that of two greats. Lionel Messi has been exceptionally talented who with his hard work, determination and sacrifices has got better and tougher in his chosen sport so is the Image, reputation and quality of TATA Motors that have transformed brilliant ideas into masterpieces of engineering and created a brand and products that we are so proud of as Indians. Lionel Messi has transformed his body and the mind body co-ordination into a masterpiece of precision and excellence it would not be wrong to say that Lionel Messi is the TATA Motors of sports where as TATA Motors is the Lionel Messi of vehicles both giants in their own spheres driven by the drive to excel and lead by example. So Lionel Messi is the best choice for becoming the brand Ambassador for TATA Motors
aaloke19@gmail.com

Arti said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, divsi! Loved it!

Mahima said...

Your post defines #madeofgreat to the hilt. Goodluck for the contest
My answer is:
Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the pillars of strength on which TATA have built a brand that has put India on the global map. It is a brand that has stood the test of time just like Lionel Messi who tackles opposition on the field with his skill,agility,strategy,brilliance and raw power to reach and score a goal so has been the track record of TATA motors who has become a brand leader and a global giant. These qualities make TATA Motors and Lionel Messi perfect partners who stand for the same set of values thus Lionel Messi is the perfect brand ambassador to represent TATA Motors.
Hope my best to be a winner here; do contact me for the prize at mahima2014j@gmail.com
fingers crossed

Unknown said...

Your post describes #madeofgreat so well that it has winner written all over it. Good luck for your entry.
Here is my answer.
Like minds think and act alike looking at the track record of TATA Motors it has stood the test of time and built a business that was built using bricks of hard work on a foundation of trust. Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the trademarks of brand TATA Motors. These same qualities are present in Lionel Messi who with his immense talent has made a mark for himself on the international football field .Facing all hardships he has worked hard toiling on the fields and in training sessions facing injuries and pressure to come out trumps and be a winner. Thus these two greats Lionel Messi and TATA Motors are made for each other .There association is a bond of two legends
In case you pick me a winner my email id is : princess09hema@gmail.com
Fingers crossed :)

Yagnesh Joshi said...

Yours is a very well written post your .Its is a very nice description of #madeofgreat
TATA Motors is a brand associated with performance, endurance and excellence. These words are also synonymous with Lionel Messi who plays as a forward and weaves his magic on the football field.Just as Lionel Messi is considered the best footballer in the world ,TATA motors which is Indias premier automotive manufacturer gives wheels to the people of India with its wide range of vehicles. Both believe in excelling in whatever they do and set examples for others to follow. They compliment each other as both are reliable trustworthy and leaders thus Lionel Messi is the natural choice as the brand ambassador of TATA Motors
yagneshbjoshi10099@gmail.com

divsi said...

Thanks so much Arti :)