Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Of sand dunes, majestic forts, colorful bazaars and Sky scanner :)




I ran in the dusty corridors following a mystical tune. 
The song was endearing.
I hummed along as if I knew the lyrics. As if I had heard it before.
The source of the sound led me to a rustic spiral staircase. The sunrays escaped through the marble windows creating an intriguing pattern on the wooden floor.
I reached an old door. Colourful, intricate. The lines on it spoke volumes. It creaked a little.My heart raced....I pushed it open..


Trinnnnnngggg trinnnggggg.

"God! This alarm! I was just going to unravel a mystery and the alarm buzzes at an absolutely wrong moment!"

I sit up on my bed.
That was such a beautiful dream.
An old Rajasthani fort with alleys and corridors, Jharokhas and ornate doors.
What if this dream became a reality?
Maybe this was indeed a sign. An omen.
Maybe the mystical land of Rajasthan was indeed calling me.
To witness the dancing dunes with ripples as the wind blew over them , the Rajasthani women walking in colorful attire eyeing my camera coyly with faces hidden behind the veil and the men with smiles ambushed by their long moustaches,walking with their camels.

I had to plan a trip, I thought earnestly. Opened my laptop in a jiffy,did some mental calculations. "Yes, I am quitting my current job. Yes, I would have a break before I resume my next. Awesome no need to apply for a leave!"

But then a wave of fear engulfed me. I would have to sit and hop through so many websites and travel portals to get the perfect deal.*Sigh*
Being a wanderer at heart is the most exciting and well as daunting thing you can ever be. On one hand I love meticulously planning my itinerary , while on one hand I also adore those blissful, unplanned journeys where gut feel takes control and steers me to the most breathtaking places!
And because I had a budget this time ( savings from my job) It would be better to plan 'Now' and shop guilt free 'later'  ;)

Four hours later:

34 windows open. 
A hassled , tired me staring blankly at the laptop. 
"How will I ever plan this trip?"
I stumble upon a website.

An hour later:

"Can you believe it? My itinerary is READY! Yes Baba , I am off to Rajasthan. Of course I have planned it. Quick, Isn't it? No no. No travel agency. Just a very helpful friend."

A magical friend for every wanderer: I had met Skyscanner.

34 windows were reduced to 4.
Eyes widened in awe.
This was incredible.
Within minutes I had finalized by dream itinerary.
From flight bookings, hotels, car rentals to the best deals from across various sites: all at one place.
No need to minimize windows to find the better deal.
No need to hop different sites for different needs.

Comparisons, discounts, best deals: everything loaded in seconds.



To add to it. Your recent searches saved for your reference. So no unnecessary screenshots:)






The photographer me had mentally started clicking the colorful bazars, tucked in the hustle bustle of Mewar.
While the planner me had chalked out an itinerary thanks to my new found travel buddy which was :

Day 1: Mumbai to Udaipur : August 14,2014

My first stop would be the city of lakes.  From strolling in Saheliyon Ki badi, to a quiet evening by the Lake Pichola, sunset at the Jag Mandir and unraveling ancient history at the City Palace.

Me: "As an early riser I prefer early morning flights so I have the whole day at my disposal"

Skyscanner: "Here you go:"



Me:" A good hotel, preferably within the city as I am traveling alone?"

Skyscanner: "How about this?"



Me: "Excellent! Flight :check ,Hotel: Check, umm CONVEYANCE!!"


The idea was to have a single car and chauffeur throughout to avoid hassles and to be on schedule!

"Skyscanner HELP!!"



SkyScanner: "Well, Impossible is nothing."



I looked in disbelief. Here were options of various cars with complete details. There was even an option of choosing the driver's age!

I chose the Mini as I was traveling alone, noting down the tentative car rental expenditure.

Day 2: Udaipur to Jodhpur : 15th August,2014



From Mewar to Manwar.
From the city of lakes to the gateway to the Thar desert.
Day 2 would start very early in the morning and lunch would be of sizzling hot Mirchi Badas, while the evening would be spent indulging  guilt free at the quaint little traditional Bazaars: Tripolia for bandhej and  Lakhera for Lac bangles.

While I jotted down my Jodhpur bucket list, Skyscanner took care of the hotel I required.




Day 3: Fort Mehrangad and Umaid Bhavan Palace: 16th August,2014

Maybe the dream I saw was of this Majestic fort? As I googled through images, my camera itched to capture the wooden doors and intricate art of this magnificent fort.

Day 3 would be dedicated to exploring this fort through my lens and visiting Umaid Bhavan Palace to see ancient traditions mixed with modern grandeur.

Day 4: Jodhpur to Manwar desert camps:17th August,2014


Manwar desert camps lie on the Jodhpur -Jaisalmer highway and what better than spending the night under stars, in the open desert with traditional folk tunes weaving magic and scrumptious Ker sangri and Gatte ki sabzi for this gourmand.
The evening would be spent exploring the dunes  in a jeep safari and rewarding the camera with beautiful captures of a mystical land.




Day 5: Manwar to Jaisalmer and back to Jodhpur for night stay: 18th August ,2014

Jaisalmer cannot be missed. The Age old Sonar killa , the Gadhisar lake, Patwo ki haweli are remnants of a rich, historic, mesmerizing history.

After a quick sightseeing tour,I would head back to Jodhpur ( stopping for ChamCham at Pokhran) for a night's stay and some much needed rest before I resume my magical tour.

Day 6: Jodhpur to Jaipur:19th August , 2014


The day would start early to embark a long journey which would consist only road travel, whizzing past tiny villages and admiring the Indian countryside.
Halt at Ajmer to visit the famous dargah visited by millions to seek blessings.
Jaipur will be reached at night.
Skyscanner suggests a hotel which would be perfect to end this long, tiring day.



Day 7: Exploring Jaipur :20th August ,2014

The day would begin with witnessing the beauty of Amer fort and lunch would be a yummy Rajasthani Thali with Dal Baati Churma.
Jantar Mantar, City Palace, Hawa Mahal , Jal Mahal would be explored and the day would end with an ethnic village experience at Choki Dhani.

Day 8: Shopping and signing off the Rajasthan Diaries:21st August 2014

Jaipur, they say, is a shopper's paradise.I would be lost in Bapu Bazar, Tripolia Bazar , Johari Bazar, Kishanpol bazaar till I am reminded of my flight back.



I imagined myself at the airport, struggling with excess check-in luggage.
Smiling,I signed off my dream itinerary, silently thanking Skyscanner for helping me plan this: with no hassles, no complex procedures and thankfully no 34 windows.
I calculated the budget.

Flight expenses: Rs. 10757
Car rental charges for 8 days: Rs.7916
Hotel expenditure: Rs. 25,050
The total: Rs. 43,723

The feeling of planning a tour in one hour : PRICELESS.

Food, Miscellaneous expenses,Shopping,Tips would be extra BUT this trip would be well within Rs.1 Lakh! WOW!


The phone rings , " Hii, Yes Its all planned. Uffo! It was planned today. Okay! DONT BELIEVE ME! Who planned? well.. A friend of mine did. I can give you his reference....Just log onto.."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post is a part of Skyscanner travel wizard activity at BlogAdda.com











4 comments:

Hitesh.Kalwani said...

I will buy it !!!! :D Interesting

divsi said...

@hitesh: You can log onto skyscanner.co.in :)

bengaliCEO said...

Beautifully written madam :)

divsi said...

Hello D! Welcome to my blog :) thanks :)